Forum Discussion

deblock1376
Practitioner II
2 years ago

Using Canvas for welcome flows

Hi all! 

We're new to Braze and just migrated over about 75 newsletters from six news organizations. I'm building out the welcome flows for the newsletters, but wondering if there's a quick way to build a generic welcome canvas while I create bespoke email templates for each newsletter. I'm running into trouble finding a way to trigger the welcome for a new subscriber. We use custom attributes for our email lists/segments. 

Any idea how to trigger one generic welcome message for all available newsletters? 

• Hi deblock1376 

Sounds like a big job! If you are using custom attributes for your lists and segments and would like to trigger a canvas from those, here is a way to do that.

I'm using our 'userType' attribute as an example but you can use any attribute you want. 

When a user registers, have the attribute change to any value you choose e.g. a boolean such as from false to true, and then have the following as your trigger for the canvas:

Alternatively, you could have the attribute update to a specific value such as 'registered' in which case your trigger would look like this:

From here, the canvas could continue on and send a welcome message or send only newsletters that are completed. For example, step 1 might be a welcome message and step 2 might trigger a separate campaign that sends a newsletter. This way you could slowly add to the canvas as new newsletters are completed and new users only get what has been completed to date.

I hope that helps but let us know if you need more help. 😊

3 Replies

deblock1376
    Practitioner II

Thanks, David! We ended up creating separate canvases for each newsletter so we can build specific flows for each. It is a lot of work, but once we get the groundwork in place we'll have Canvases that can be updated and added to. 

DavidO
      Strategist II

Fantastic to hear. Grunt ground work can be important for future-proofing. I'm glad you've found a solution. 😊

DavidO
    Strategist II

Hi deblock1376 

Sounds like a big job! If you are using custom attributes for your lists and segments and would like to trigger a canvas from those, here is a way to do that.

I'm using our 'userType' attribute as an example but you can use any attribute you want. 

When a user registers, have the attribute change to any value you choose e.g. a boolean such as from false to true, and then have the following as your trigger for the canvas:

Alternatively, you could have the attribute update to a specific value such as 'registered' in which case your trigger would look like this:

From here, the canvas could continue on and send a welcome message or send only newsletters that are completed. For example, step 1 might be a welcome message and step 2 might trigger a separate campaign that sends a newsletter. This way you could slowly add to the canvas as new newsletters are completed and new users only get what has been completed to date.

I hope that helps but let us know if you need more help. 😊