Forum Discussion

Bonfire-Champ
Active Member II
2 years ago

random bucket question

Would anyone be kind enough to share a Random Bucket use case with me? I’m especially interested in seeing a working example (and how it was set up) using Random Buckets with multiple canvases.

2 Replies

Bonfire-Champ
    Active Member II

I can give you an example of a large-scale A/B test I set up using random buckets:
    My test consists of one control group (which reflects the current campaign setup) and one test group (which has a new setup). Each group consists of three canvases that build on each other. For example, users make their first purchase, enter canvas 1 and then receive a number of steps to get them to make another purchase. Then they move on to canvas 2, and so on.
    In my setup, I use random bucket numbers to make sure users who enter canvas 1 in the control group also receive canvas 2 and 3 from the control group, and don't bounce between control and test group.
    Hope this helps! 

Bonfire-Champ
    Active Member II

we used random buckets to do a holiday offer. We had a control (no offer), offer 1 and offer 2. Offer 1 and 2 had an A/B test. So we basically divided the random buckets into 5 groups. We repeated the offer for a month and each segment always got the same offer with the same A/B test. So group control group was 1-1999, offer 1 test A was 2000-4000. Offer 1 test B 4001-6000. Offer 2 test A 6001-8000 and offer 2 test B 8001-9999. So when people re-entered the canvas the alway got the same test.  Hope this helps.