Forum Discussion

sevgic
2 years ago

Create an audience from all that have not received any message in previous step

Hi! 

We are notifying consumers about their invoices through a canvas with transactional communication channels. First we send an email (+ push notification of the consumer have our app), and if the email sendout fails we send a text message - if that fails we make sure to trigger our pdf generator so that the consumer gets the invoice as a paper letter. 

What we have realized however is that some customers "falls off" that arn't bounces or rejections - they just don't proceed from entering a canvas step to "send" or "delivered". It's easy to select the ones that are sent but not delivered through the query builder. But does anyone have an idea of how I can make an target audience at of everyone that enters a step but that we don't "send" anything to?

According to Braze there's no out of the box-solution for this. So I want to check if there might be any workarounds I havn't thought of. 

Thanks in advance

/Sevgi

elyssa
    Practitioner II

Would the 'Has received message from canvas step' audience filter work in this instance? You can chose the canvas and the step + turn 'has' into 'has not'.

DavidO
    Strategist II

Hi sevgic I would be taking a step back and looking into this as it seems quite odd that users would pass the entry criteria, then enter a relevant step but yet Braze sends them nothing? I don't think users should just be 'falling off' for no reason, unless I'm missing something.

1. Are there exception events on the step?
    2. Does the canvas have incorrect exit criteria? I had incorrect exit criteria boot everyone out of a canvas once 😆
    3. Do the users have the relevant communication options in their profile e.g. a valid email? Any email?
    4. Are all the bounces, spam and other irrelevant users removed from the segment before entering the canvas? I find this reduces a lot of issues inside the canvas.

You would potentially capture them with a filter such as the one elyssa has suggested but to avoid having to capture them, I'd first identify the root of the issue.

Feel free to add more context. It's a curious case. 😊