Forum Discussion

RenzoM
Practitioner
8 months ago

Conversion Events and Exit Criteria on Canvases

Hi everyone!

With my team we are starting to implement some journeys on Braze, and I was sure that when a user performs a conversion event defined in said Canvas, they will exit the canvas and stop receiving any further messages.
Is this correct? In your canvases do you have any case where you used a conversion event, and then defined it as an exit criteria?

Thanks!

SallyE

I believe that setting a conversion event in a canvas doesn't automatically exit the user from the canvas, it just tracks that conversion event as part of the canvas metrics. If you want users to exit after a conversion, it would be best to set that up as a specific exit criteria.  After a user exits, you can also set if the user can ever enter the canvas again if they meet the entry criteria a second time. That's a check box option in the canvas setup as well.

DavidO
    Strategist II

Hi RenzoM 

As SallyE noted, a conversion event won't automatically exit someone from a canvas, that is what the exit criteria are for. 

For example, (just winging this), if you had 'Start session' as a conversion metric and then set 'Start session' as an exit criteria I would expect them to exit the canvas when it happened. What I can't confirm is whether the conversion gets registered before or after they exit, so you will need to test this in case they exit and you miss the conversion.

Do you have conversion and exit events set as the same event and they are not exiting? Are they exiting before the conversion or maybe they are exiting as they hit the next step?

I've personally never used this strategy, however, as we tend to follow users through our canvases and measure their conversions over the journey, only exiting them if for example they suddenly change subscription status.

RenzoM
    Practitioner

Hi! Thanks SallyE and DavidO for claryfing!

Answering your question David, we're still testing this out, but basically we wanted to make sure that if a user performs a conversion event, they stop receiving that journeys communications.

Will test it out and come back with a few insights then.

DavidO
      Strategist II

I look forward to hearing the results. 🙂