Forum Discussion

c_hixon
Practitioner
11 months ago

Segments

Does anyone know if it's possible to create groups within segments in Braze? I'd like to have two groups, where within each group, each condition is separated with 'AND' operators.  Then in between the two groups, I want an 'OR' operator.  But I can't seem to find a way to do this.

• Hi! One way to do this is to use one segment within a different segment with the Segment Membership filter. You can create a segment for each of your ANDed groups, and then import them into a second segment and put ORs between each "Segment Membership" filter. 

You can't nest segments more than once though - check that doc link for specifics. 

pedram
    Active Member II

Hi c_hixon,

Each segment consists of AND statements that can be OR'd. Otherwise one has to combine segments using filters like Segment Membership

That being said, I think more advanced segmenting filters are a great feature since I also had to create multiple segments to base my main segments on top of. Even the Segment Membership filter seems to work at a single level because they otherwise create looped dependencies. 

A more advanced solution is creating segments using partner integrations such as Mixpanel cohorts, but I know that they come with a hefty price.