Forum Discussion

Sarah1
9 months ago

Update a custom attribute for a user based on email button click?

Hi all, is there a way to update a custom attribute of a user based on a button click in an email? 

Similar to the ${set_user_to_unsubscribed_url

I've been trying a workaround with an action based canvas based on "interact with campaign" -> "clicked email for campaign" and then a user update step but that doesn't seem to give me the desired result. Any help is appreciated.

• Hey Sarah1 - there are quite a few ways you could tackle this in my opinion, but first you'd need to create a segment depending on the goal if it is either "clicked in ANY email" or "clicked in a specific campaign" or "clicked on a specific link within an email":

1.  You can create a canvas that will capture users who enter the segment and with a user update step in the canvas you can update an attribute.

2.  You can run a Webhook campaign based on the same trigger / segment which will run an API call internally and update the custom attribute.

Either scenarios would work for you, but need to establish what is the criteria for the trigger first.  

Best,

• Hi Sarah! I'm curious, why didn't your workaround work? I think that approach is definitely one of the solutions. The one thing you might be missing is that "clicked email" is any click, not a specific button click. 

Link Aliasing targeting should here. Do you have the specific button set up with the Link Alias?