Forum Discussion

ravn
10 months ago

multiple subscription group update

Adding subscription group to your email program is a great way to retain customers from on overall exit. Unfortunately adding the program starts all existing customer as unsubscribe. Luckily there is a webhook to switch them on, unfortunately I am only able to switch on ONE at a time. Has anyone attempted to switch multiple subscription group at a time?

• Hey Ravn - I imagine you mean to bulk update everyone to be "Subscribed" to a specific subscription group?   Yea afraid you can't use the Canvas "Update User" step for this or do a batch update via the API, so the best way would be either :

1.  Upload a CSV with 3 columns:  external_id, subscription_group_id, subscription_status.   *See this documentation*

2.  Run a webhook to update users with the subscription group.   Ensure you rate limit the # of users getting this per minute according to the rate limit of the API.  If I recall its 50k per minute.

Hope that helps,

ravn

Hi Ben,

Yes I would like to do a bulk update to everyone. I am using a webhook which successfully updates all subscribed/opt-in customers to "turn-on" for a specific subscription group in a sandbox test environment. The test environment had 1.2M contact which took nearly 4 hours to turn on 1 subscription group while our true list consist of 42M plus customers with 6 subscription group.

The rate limit for this is 5k per minute which will lead us over 40 days (at least) so this brings up a few hiccups. Updating 1 subscription group per run will take us at least 240 days to back-fill 6 subscription group for 42M plus and that runs into potential issue with new customer switch since they will run simultaneously and be part of the 5k threshold.

For that reason, I am hoping to switch all 6 subscription group to all subscribed/opt-in customers in one run then let the new subscriber webhook kick in after the run rather than reduce backfill and new customer switch. I tried testing multiple subscriber group switch which didn't work sadly. Hoping someone had better luck.

AllanHeo
        Strategist

Hey ravn, great to see you posting here also. This has been on my mind since we last spoke. I think submitting a Braze ticket for this one could be worth it, since we're blocked by Braze's rate-limits. Please let me know if you end up going this route!