Forum Discussion

isabellelabadie
Practitioner II
2 months ago

In-app message frequency

We are having an internal discussion at Descript on how often we should allow a user to receive an in-app message. As part of this process, I'd love to hear what other's perceptions are on in-app message frequency? 

Examples: 1 per day, 1 per session, 1 every 3 days, 1 per week

1 Reply

DavidO
    Strategist II

Hi isabellelabadie 

Apologies for the delayed response. At Clipchamp we have been trialling a few things with in-app messages. In quite a few cases, it hasn't been about how often a user receives an in-app message, but is it relevant to them, at that time, with the job they are trying to do?

If you can deliver a user relevant information, at just the right time, to help them better use Descript, then the volume of messages is less relevant. It also means some users may get more messages than others but what a user does receive will be very relevant to them.

Of course, there are caps. We are super careful about over-delivering in app messaging inside our video editor as it should be an uncluttered space to work and find some flow. We also have tags set up so we can ensure that if a user has received for example an opt-in offer, they won't get pitched another one within a certain time-period, even if they meet the criteria.

I know this doesn't directly answer the question but I think asking how an in-app message can support the user's jobs to done is an important question to ask before volume.

Love to hear your thoughts as well 🙂