Forum Discussion

jaredecohen82
2 years ago

Marketing Team Structure Reccos

Curious to hear how other leaders balance campaign related responsibilities with platform/integration improvement responsibilities.  While I have a solid team of marketers, finding understanding of the more technical aspects of Braze and managing migrations and launch of new channels always seems to be gap.  I'd love to hear how other teams are balancing these responsibilities.

•  jaredecohen82, good question and very relevant to our own journey with Braze currently. This new avatar of marketer is challenging at the same time fulfilling if the find the sweet spot. I lead a team of campaign managers who in addition to standing up the marketing lifecycle comms and contact strategy also develop campaign/canvas in braze. Not an easy transition to make and as DavidO alluded requires someone who has the natural acumen to understand and harness data more efficiently and willingness to get some hacks done when required in the grand scheme of things.  Having a Martech team in house and leveraging of their support helps marketers in their learning and in their willingness to pursue and embrace robust solutions to customer problems rather than resorting to quick fixes/wins. Setting up a culture to accept failures and learn from them also helps a great deal. Recognising step changes and continuous improvements are key in this journey and we find so far Braze as a platform has positioned so well to make this transition easier.  

DavidO
    Strategist II

Hi jaredecohen82 

Great question. In my experience, the teams I have worked in have functioned best when there are pure marketers but there is at least one martech / engineering-minded person who knows a little bit of front-end engineering amongst them. It doesn't need to be a lot but if they know their way around some HTML, CSS and JS, and have an understanding to think technically rather than 'marketally' (I invented a new word), it goes a long way.

Would it be possible to see if one of your staff would be interested in pursuing some engineering training? scrimba.com would be my recommendation for a great value, easy-to-learn platform to do this. #notaffliated