cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List-unsubscribe header with preference center page

ryan_quinlan

Our company uses a custom preference center page as our unsubscribe link, so that customers can opt-out of any or all subscription groups (custom preference center created via API: https://www.braze.com/docs/user_guide/message_building_by_channel/email/preference_center/overview/#...). What’s the expected behavior for the unsubscribe link header in this case, will the custom preference center link be pulled into the unsub header?

12 REPLIES 12

I really meant to link t the one-click unsub section of that page FYI. Oops!

Hey @catmears, this is the Braze Product Team. If you're not using Braze's OOTB unsubscribe/preference center functionality, but your own custom unsubscribe link, then your system will need to process those list-unsubscribe requests and pass the updated subscription state to Braze. 

Thanks @jennifer - that's what I figured! If I were to re-word my original question, I suppose I would put it to you all like this:

If we use OOTB Braze unsub function AND we turn on the list-unsub header currently available NOW in Braze; does that meet the requirement for one-click unsubscribe? (I don't think it does because as I read the documentation, it looks like current functionality is set up as MAILTO: and doesn't include an HTTPS URI).

If not, will the feature that's mentioned in the Note here satisfy the requirement? (Mostly looking for confirmation that Braze is working on product functionality to address this upcoming requirement).

Anyone using a custom pref center is going to have to build in custom header code to accomodate the one-click header unsubscribe link.

@catmears Yepp, the current list-unsubscribe header available in our Email Preferences does not meet the requirement because it is a mailto. However, Braze is currently developing support for one-click unsubscribe header, which will meet the requirement from Yahoo/Gmail. 

Correct, marketers that have a custom preference center or a custom unsubscribe functionality will need to set up a one-click unsubscribe URL that adheres to the requirements in the docs. Braze's upcoming feature will allow customizing our list-unsubscribe header to include a single one-click unsubscribe URL that will get automatically added to all marketing messages

Goot
Practitioner II

Hey Ryan! This is a great question for our Product Team to take a look at, but here's what I know: The preference center page is totally fine for the required unsubscribe option in the body of the message, but the list-unsubscribe header needs to be a true one-and-done unsubscribe option that happens seamlessly within the mailbox UI and doesn't require any additional user input. You can read more about it in RFC8058 if you're feeling especially nerdy. 🙂 Hope that helps a little!