Forum Discussion

DavidO
Strategist II
2 years ago

Has anyone got 'map' and 'join' to work on a liquid array? Code review please :)

Hi all

I have been looking at options to capitalize the first letter of both names for users who have two first names saved in our database. For example: 'tony peter' becomes 'Tony Peter'.

I can make it work with a  for loop but the docs suggest 'map' and 'join' should work which would considerably reduce the liquid.

Here is what I have that just won't play ball and I can't seem to find where it is failing:

{% assign fullName = "tony peter" %}
{% assign names = fullName | split: ' ' %}
{% assign capitalizedNames = names | map: 'capitalize' %}
{{ capitalizedNames | join: ' ' }}

I'm looking to split the first names at the space into an array so they can be worked on one at a time. The liquid then maps over the array, capitalizing each first letter. Once complete, rejoining into a complete string with a space in the middle.

Any advice would be great. 

• DavidO map only works on properties and the property name should be where you have 'capitalize' in teh code. 'capitalize' is not a property of any item in your array, that's why this won't work. 

Try this:

{% assign names = fullName | split: ' '  %}
    {%- capture capitalizedNames -%}
      {%- for name in names %}{{ name | capitalize }} {% endfor -%}
    {%- endcapture -%}
    {{ capitalizedNames }}
    Arso
    Practitioner III

DavidO map only works on properties and the property name should be where you have 'capitalize' in teh code. 'capitalize' is not a property of any item in your array, that's why this won't work. 

Try this:

{% assign names = fullName | split: ' '  %}
    {%- capture capitalizedNames -%}
      {%- for name in names %}{{ name | capitalize }} {% endfor -%}
    {%- endcapture -%}
    {{ capitalizedNames }}
      DavidO
      Strategist II

Thanks Arso 🙏🏻

I did see some comments about properties in the Shopify docs and that makes more sense now. Back to the for loop, but good to know it wasn't just me. 😂 Thanks for the code suggestion too.