cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple messages in a Canvas - together or separate?

srutgersononco

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a Canvas that triggers both an email and an SMS message at the same time. I set them up as 2 steps - an email and then the SMS, but a colleague suggested I might send both as part of the same step, which I didn't realize could be done. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having them together or separate? I kind of like seeing the two steps, but was wondering if there are pros and cons of each method.

Thanks for your insights!

-Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DavidO
Strategist

Hi @srutgersononco 👋

It would be best to post this in the main forum but my view on this is it's the ol' multiple ways to get the same outcome. If the segment of users is identical, it makes for a cleaner canvas to have them combined, as canvases can get messy if they are complex. Otherwise, work with what suits your workflow best. I have no insight into whether combined delivers all message types faster but I highly doubt it would be 'meaningfully' faster if it was.

In saying that, you can see analytics easier if the steps are separate rather than needing to click into the message step. 

😊

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DavidO
Strategist

Hi @srutgersononco 👋

It would be best to post this in the main forum but my view on this is it's the ol' multiple ways to get the same outcome. If the segment of users is identical, it makes for a cleaner canvas to have them combined, as canvases can get messy if they are complex. Otherwise, work with what suits your workflow best. I have no insight into whether combined delivers all message types faster but I highly doubt it would be 'meaningfully' faster if it was.

In saying that, you can see analytics easier if the steps are separate rather than needing to click into the message step. 

😊

srutgersononco

Thanks David! I suspected it was more a matter of preference, but since I am still new-ish to Braze (after years of using other tools that work a bit differently), I thought I'd check with others and see what more experienced folks think.

Our volumes will be small as these will be firing real-time, so speed isn't really an issue. Keeping the reporting separate has value though - and I think it may be easier to see exactly what is happening in the Canvas if I keep them separate - so I think I'll keep them as separate steps. Thanks for the input - truly appreciated!

This is my first time in the Bonfire area, so I'll look for the main forum next time. (Is there a post that says how to be a good Bonfire citizen? I have some learning to do!)

Thank you again! 

Don't worry, you posted a good question and we're friendly, you automatically get a good citizen badge. 🎖

One thing to consider on the reporting side is that it may be challenging to properly attribute conversions since the steps would be so close together.  Only real solves I can think for this are either separating the steps or using some other conversion tracking approach (UTMs, etc.)