cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice: Naming Convention

AllanHeo
Strategist

Hi Bonfire,

Hope you are all doing well! I wanted to raise this discussion topic that has been on my mind for so long: CAMPAIGN/CANVAS NAMING CONVENTIONS. 

Having worked with 100+ Braze teams at this point, I have seen so many creative ways for naming conventions, all the way from a non-existent structure to a fully-structured, spreadsheet-formula-generated approach. 

Here are some initial thoughts/reflections I want to put out, and I'd love to hear all your suggestions: what's worked, what hasn't worked, what's simple/easy to manage, etc. 

1. Easy navigation/search within the dashboard. I think one thing to consider when creating a naming convention is how easily will you be able to search for this in the dashboard. Considering that there are alphabetical sorts, I've seen many teams go for a "yyyy-mm-dd campaign name" structure. Even though there is a "last edited" sort, there are many times where the name sort could be helpful. 

However, when we start adding all sorts of helpful things in the name like "AB test", "email_iam_push_sms", "audience_type", etc., the campaign name starts to get really long. To the point where the distinguishing campaign name doesn't even show up. Which makes the dashboard navigation tough. 

Now, tags are a great usage for dashboard organization. However, there's one major downside to tags which leads to my point #2. 

2. Tag information is not passed through Braze Currents. So even if we have an amazing tagging structure for channels, audience, delivery type, date, etc., when the data team receives the Currents data, they can't rely on the tag information to structure their data conveniently. This is where I've seen teams use the thorough naming convention in the campaign title, and the data teams are parsing specific key words in the campaign titles to run their analytics. A bit risky as it's fully dependent on the correctness of campaign name spelling. 

I do think if Braze can pass along tag data in the Currents fields, this could potentially solve some of the pain. Until then, I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU: 

If you are proud and satisfied with your Campaign/Canvas naming structure, please share them here! 

Thank you all,

Allan

0 REPLIES 0