Forum Discussion

nora_giussani
11 months ago

Web push optin

Hi everyone,

How do you manage web push optin considering that if a user declines it through the web push prompt, it impacts the field Push Enable which is used for mobile push notifications as well and so user will be opted out from mobile push notifications as well?

Thanks

• Hi nora_giussani , 

This is a very interesting question, and I'm not entirely sure how Braze behaves in this situation. However, Braze is known for its strength in cross-channel communication, and I know that each device's push token is handled separately. 

To confirm, have you already tried this scenario of declining a web push prompt from a user who's mobile push enabled, and seen the Push Enabled field change to unsubscribed? 

Best,

Allan

Stuart
    Practitioner III

Hey nora_giussani,

The best way I handle this issue is to only send App Push and just use In-Browser Messaging on Web!😁 

Yes, you are correct. When a user 'blocks' notifications on a web push, Braze will change the user's Push status to unsubscribed.

If you have to ask users for web push opt-in, I'd recommend using the Braze Web Push Primer. I like using the primer because if the user declines at this stage, the web browser's native push notification screen will not appear! 

How Braze handles Push subscription is all here.